Bogs had some important things to say about military recruiters on high school campuses. I agree that the downside should be emphasized more than it is.
However, it might be interesting to look at it another way from one man's experience. My biggest difficulty at this moment is where to start. (BTW, this is a typical war story. No shytte this really happened.)
Retiring after 22.5 years of active military service is not a bad thing. Let me tell you how I got there. It would probably help to know that both my father and step-father were Army officers. My mother couldn't resist the uniform?
My last year in high school we moved to a new school. Somewhere along the line I pissed off some kid and he told the police I was part of a group that siphoned gas. I knew the guy who did. As a result, I spent a night in the county jail. Not one of my proudest moments, but it did lead to some interesting decisions. I had no idea what I was to do with my life. College was out of the question. We didn't talk in terms of higher education in my home. It wasn't the rage that it is now.
My step-dad accompanied me to the alderman's court and promised that I would be going into the military upon graduation. It was a promise I kept. I enlisted in the Air Force and served the requisite four years. While in the Air Force I began taking college courses. When I got out I opted to go to college on the GI Bill. I was even given credit for my military service.
Being married with one child at the time it was important to seek income wherever possible. An old family friend suggested ROTC. Not relishing the thought of spending much more time on active duty I was ready to decline. He then told me that the Army had a program wherein I could serve six months on active duty and the rest in the reserves. War story #5 will provide the details.
Now what does this all have to do with "minimizing the potential dangers" by recruiters? Not much and a whole lot. I suspect that most kids today, both male and female, are not sure what they want to do with their lives. Many of them have been molly-coddled by their parents and believe the world owes them a living. They also believe they are invincible. One only need to read the reports of vehicle accidents and deaths to get that picture.
They may want to see the world. They may want to go to college and cannot afford it any other way. The military is a great place to grow up. Yeah, there is a hell of a lot of danger during times of war. And it doesn't seem fair to send them off to be killed or wounded. It might be interesting to talk with them to get their take on it. You will meet those who are totally against the whole war thing and wish they could change their minds. They also know from first hand account the nastiness of it all.
So, how does this all fit in with Bog's comments? You don't lie to kids whose brains are still not totally developed. You let them know the dangers. They may be able to make a decision that will be to their advantage. Remember, life is about choices. Every decision is the right one and every decision is the wrong one.
What we need to do is spend more time avoiding war, than getting involved in one where the leaders are doing it to bolster their own egos. Until you have been there you shouldn't send others. There is a tenet in leadership about not asking subordinates to do something that you haven't/can't do yourself.
These are just some of this man's thoughts.
15 comments:
when my son was 14,he talked about joining the military. as he got older, he tried to convince me to sign off on papers allowing him to join. i refused. we had some arguments. but i didn't want my son to be cannon fodder, so-to-speak. i told my son that if he wanted to join the military he could do so when he turned 18 and though I would disagree with such a choice - it was his to make at that time and I would support that decision.
by the time the kid turned 18 he didn't want to join and i had actually begun to think, maybe it would be good for him. and frankly, if we weren't involved in an unjust war, i'd suggest it to him now. he is rudderless and needs direction, discipline, and a reason to stand strong. of course, i often think that if he did join up, he'd serve most of his inlistment inside a brig for insubordination or receive a dishonorable discharge. the kid, though intelligent and charming, is a hothead and still can't figure out that a big dog (he's 6'4") doesn't have to go out of his way for a fight
i understand the opportunities military service can provide, but i also understand the downside (at least intellectually - I don't know firsthand).
the navy was very good to my dad - but that was a different era. we don't honor our military the way we used to - and i'm not talking about flag-waving, but pay, services, support, healthcare, etc.
thanks for your perspective jack. you are, to borrow a cowboy phrase, welcome at my campfire any time (sort of like riding the river I think, but not quite).
bird, thank you for your comments. The campfire invite is quite similar to riding the river, you have to be able to be counted on. You are alwasy welcome to flap, flap and swoosh in.
While now may not seem to be the best time to serve in the military, it might just be what he needs. He might begin to think about understanding his personal power. It has nothing to do with muscular power. It took me quite a while to even think that there was something other than positional power.
If you and he like, I would be pleased to interact with him via email or the blogs. He might gain something from my stumbled across blog.
While the support is not nearly sufficient as it could be, there are plenty of benefits for those who decide to make it a career. I have been retired longer than I served. I get my retirement pay, and medical benefits (my primary medical support is now Medicare). btw, we don't support our teachers and a few other occupations very well either.
thanx for this very interesting perspective. my son is 20 and has often spoken out loud of joining the military. like bird says, in some respects it has the potential to do him some good - he stands to learn some valuable lessons from the military.
however ... there is the danger aspect. and the plain, simple horror of war. and that worries me if he would chose the military route. could i live with myself if i encouraged him to follow his military aspirations, if he was one of the unfortunates that arrived home in a box? i don't think i like those odds.
my father-in-law was an RAF pilot in WWII. he was quite young when he went to combat. after his military stint he had a long and successful career with the UN. many many life stories to tell. but never, ever could even bring himself to talk about those times in war. not ever. the scars of war are not only physical.
i think we are so far removed from war in a way here on this continent - many see it as some form of entertainment on CNN or the like. however ... its not just some wild tv show. its real. my husband remembers living in an apt block, as a child, in europe whose basement had been converted into a bomb shelter. woah. that's sort of trippy.
i agree, incidentally, that many important occupations do not get the support/esteem they so richly deserve. ok, sorry to ramble.
velvet, thanks for your comments.
I certainly understand your real concerns about your son. My grandsons have decided to join the military. The oldest one to the Marines and the younger to the Navy.
I recognize that they have personal missions to perform in this lifetime and many lessons to learn and to teach. One of them may be an early death. That is a condition I believe we all face. However, that does not mean I would not grieve should that be the case. I do know that I could rejoice in knowing that they had fulfilled the mission they set for themselves. That is an honorable thing.
I probably should have said that I did not agree with our being in Viet Nam, but I did perform my duties for both tours. I wish we could get away from resorting to war.
Your father-in-law probably felt the same way and preferred not to talk about the painful things that happened around him.
Thanks again.
As a person who only had a grandfather and great-grandfather serve their country during times of war, it's challenging for me to make an intelligent comment on this.
The only thing I know in my heart, war is wrong, I hate it. Not much help here but that's how I feel.
Thanks, Karen. I agree war is wrong. Yet, we seem to rely on it more than any other way to settle differences.
However, how do we work with, or neutralize bullies? Even if we are the bully?
Not easy questions for me to answer.
Thank you Croak.
As you so nicely have pointed out, there are choices and there are consequences.
For many, the choice of service can bring out the best of consequences, understanding self better.
And, it can bring out the worst, understanding self better.
Life is always an enigma. With a little bit of luck and forsight, we can live it honorably, or honourably. lol.
To serve others, in whatever capacity; to care about those you serve; and to discover and share the love in your heart, seem like excellent guides for a fulfilling life. It is too bad that those guidelines lead us to situations wherein we must harm others for a greater good. That doesn't mean I always believe the ends justify the means.
Thanks again.
jack - where'd my comment go on yer post? user error on my part? argh! dagnabbit.
My son's are the ones Jack is talking about that are going into the military. I have a nephew that is also considering going into the military, he's just a freshman in high school so this may change. When our children are becoming young adults, one of the first major decisions that they make is what are they going to do when they are out of high school. Some choose college, some jobs, some tech schools, others the military. This is a choice that they have to make, probably the last one that they will consult with their parents about. I knew from the time that my youngest was a freshman in high school that he would be in the military, because that is where he would get the training that he wants. The older ones choice to join came from out of left field. With trepidation and concern for their welfare I support them and their decision to join. Neither one of them has choosen to be in the infintry, they are both going into communictions.
There is more to the military than fighting. Who do you think takes care of the infintry? who feeds them, takes care of their health, makes sure that they have everything that they need, and can call home? All these jobs are done by members of the military.
As harsh as what I'm going to say sounds, I'm still going to say it. When a persons time to die comes, it doesn't matter where they are or what they are doing, death will find them.
A friend of my youngest son died earlier this year in a bad car accident. His life was cut short, he was helping out someone he worked with. He wasn't in the military.
I don't like war, there should be other ways to solve problems. Remember the old adage: Strong fences build strong neighbors.
Live fully...
Agree with everything that Jack said, especially the last paragraph. I hope that one day my own kids see the military for what really is, a brotherhood, a special society that teaches mankind about leadership, honor, courage and commitment. Is not only motto, it will stick with me forever. But the reality is that the parallel society that the military lives for, keeps growing with an un-appreciation sentiment, taking everything for granted. I advise to anyone who has never been in a third, fourth of fifth world country, to go and take a closer look at why we must learn what the earlier motto says. And those that simply say that we have third world conditions in our own own backyards, have obviously forgotten that in the place that has all the options, we are bound to make many wrong and right ones as Jack has already said.
Adrianne, you have great wisdom for a younger person. I'm proud to be part of your life and that you are a part of mine.
tt, you are quite right. Not every soldier is in the infantry. I served first as a jet engine mechanic and then as a military police officer. Both are necessary jobs, and were quite rewarding.
mr. q, thanks for your comments. It is nice to know that there are those folks who have such a clear understanding as yours about the military. I think it is the politicians who tend to get the military in trouble. The get so damned concerned about re-election they tend to forget why they are in office--TO SERVE US.
thanks for stopping by the blog. you hang out with Karen, so you have automatic coolness!
awwwwwwwwwwww, gee thanks sabatkes! yer pretty kEwL yerself, girlfriend!
...hope you don't mind all the love-spreadin' at yer place, jack, but you do bring out the *best* in us!! :-)
Thanks, sabatkes.
Karen, when you've got it flaunt it. I just follow your lead. lol
Post a Comment