Wednesday, September 06, 2006

very impressive picture-(CAVEAT)

I received a comment from armygrunt at the very impressive picture posting. He raises some interesting perspectives on the authenticity of the photo. I must say that I agree with him.

I try not to get caught up in such things.

Please accept my apology for presenting something without vetting it first.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.


#231

7 comments:

bronxbt said...

as a designer, i did some research and while i'm likely wrong, this is a 72dpi image that's been rasteurized from a 300dpi original.

any blatent and unprofessional retouching would've left ghosting or trails left behind from edited edges, seams covered up and such...

none of these types of common mistakes are apparent in this pic.

while STILL not an expert, I consulted a friend at Fort lewis via email, send him your link and he confirms that these big metal beasts are able to dip, turn, and drop on a dime. while they're apparently quite hard to master, it's well known that manuevers like this are possible, however RARE due to the inheriant instability issues. having the 2 prop version accomplish this isn't too far fetched tho.


who'da thunk, eh?

Jack K. said...

Thanks -b.

You're one of those folks who will do to ride the river with.

Bird said...

iwondered about this - that's why i asked who took the picture and if it'd been published.

so i've been poking around on snopes.com and various other Internet- and email-hoax tracking sites. I did find:

http://alabamaimproper.blogspot.com/2006/09/our-military.html

which sports the photo and email text (as real) and this listing:

Pass on, Thanks, Boyd This photo was taken by a soldier in Afghanistan of a helicopter rescue mission. The pilot is a PA Guard guy who flies EMS choppers in ...
truthlaidbear.com/communitypage.php?community=bluestar - 51k - Sep 5, 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

which keeps netting me a "page unavailable -come back in a few hours message."

i have found something else to do besides what i need to do. hats off to you jack!

SeePearrl said...

this post has a context to refer..which i dont find :)

Jack K. said...

bird, thanks for the link. I got it originally in an email from a friend.

white forest, the very impressive picture is a link to a previous posting. A comment left there prompted this posting.

Thanks for stopping by.

Karen said...

Very impressive *research team* you have here, Jack! :-)

Jack K. said...

Some days I get so lucky, I find it difficult to believe.

Thanks to all who contributed to the research. You will find your lives a little easier for behaving in such a manner.