Thursday, August 10, 2006

What a Surprise!

Back in late June, Shannon, our youngest decided that she would like to visit her mother. Mom's birthday would be the perfect time, and a surprise visit would be great. All of this scheming between us took place prior to learning of Maryann's trip to the hospital. After learning of that, there was no way to keep Shannon away.

For the next month and a half there was a flurry emails between us. I told no one until a few days before her arrival. It seems that after the flight plans were made, Maryann had an appointment scheduled to see her surgeon for a follow-up. What to do? Hospital, or airport? A very dear friend of Shannon came to the rescue. Zoe took off a day from work to give Shannon a ride from the airport to our home.

With that happening I had to alert a neighbor about it. If she saw a strange person entering our home while we were gone, she might call the police. So I let her in on the plan and swore her to secrecy. When I explained the birthday aspect of the visit, Gale exclaimed her birthday was the day before Maryann's. So now, we are going to have a wonderful birthday dinner outing with the five of us. It is going to be a blast. Gale did stop by last evening to meet Shannon
and for a glass of wine. We then took Shannon out for dinner.

That dinner was special too. An old high school classmate is the executive chef at Pierpont's Restaurant at Union Station in Kansas City, MO. Maryann and I had eaten there several times before and told Patrick we would bring Shannon in whenever she returned. It was a delightful time.

Now back to the surprise part. Maryann and I went to the doctor's appointment, and then did some errands. When we returned home I entered the house first and held the door for Maryann. I wasn't sure quite where Shannon would be, but I knew it would be close to the door from the garage. Sure enough, she had set up the ironing board and was ironing a skirt. Maryann walked in, saw a tall person in the kitchen, realized who it was and all but shouted, "Oh my God!!!" It was priceless. Needless to say, very gentle hugs were shared.

It was a great surprise and a wonderful day. Shannon's visit will be for a week thanks to a very understanding and compassionate boss.

It seems only right to put in a small plug for Clogs-N-More, the store where Shannon works. If you have ever thought about clogs this is a good place to shop. The choice is yours.

Serve well! Care about those you serve! Share the love in your heart.

3 comments:

bronxbt said...

WOULD YOU PEOPLE STOP POSTING ABOUT ALL THIS GOODNESS!? DAMNIT!
I'm trying to work and it's hard when yer writings give me snorkies, snifflies, and i have to dab ma' eyes.

yesh, i'm a big puss. sue me.

Maryann is so lucky to have such good peoplz around her.

>> huggers << (for her, not you jack.. sit down)


;)
B

Karen said...

Love a ♥warm fuzzy♥ story...

Happy Birthday to Maryann!

shannon said...

It's been a blast! The surprise...I only wish I could have gotten a photo!